Easy Zucchini Flan (High Protein)
This self-crusting zucchini flan can be enjoyed as a side dish or a light main course. It's a delicious way to incorporate zucchini into your meals. You can make it gluten-free too. Feel free to serve it with a side salad or some roasted vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy!
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup oil (rice bran or other mild flavour)
1 cup grated cheese or 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
3 slices of chopped bacon (optional)
1 cup flour or gluten free flour mix*
1 tsp baking powder
salt & pepper to taste
sprinkle of Italian or other herbs
Note: Substitute 1 cup flour for 1/2 cup gluten-free flour + 1/4 cup coconut flour to increase fibre and reduces carb content in this zucchini flan.
I like to use the food processor to make this zucchini flan. It can ease the preparation time as you can grate your cheese, zucchini much faster and mix the ingredients in no time.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C (180°C for fan baking) and grease a round baking dish.
- Grate your zucchini using the hand grater or grating blade of your food processor. Place the grated zucchini aside in a big bowl.
- In a mixing bowl of your food processor or in another big bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, flour of your choice, baking powder, chopped onion, and chopped bacon (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the grated zucchini and cheese to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Note: If using the food processor pour the egg mixture over zucchini and add the grated cheese.
- Pour the zucchini mixture into the greased baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle with some herbs for extra flavour and colour.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the flan is set. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, the flan is ready.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.