Gluten Free Sourdough Seeded Crackers
These healthy and easy to make gluten free sourdough seeded crackers could be done with your family favourite ingredients. They satisfy that crunchy taste you are looking for in a cracker without nasties. My family loves them and they disappear in no time. Lovely on its own or with a dip.
- 125g GF sourdough starter
- 125g GF flour combo*
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp of seeds (sesame, flaxseed, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy seeds, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder **
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 Tbsp mixed or Italian herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or just a dash)
- 6-8 tablespoons plant milk (soy, coconut, almond, rice)
Add more salt, seeds and herbs for decorative effect and extra flavour.
*Since I started to bake gluten free sourdough bread I have been making my own gluten free flour. Mix two parts of gluten free flour (white or brown rice flour, buckwheat, sorghum, millet…) and one part starch like tapioca, corn, potato or arrowroot.
**Note: Don’t be tempted to reduce the quantity of baking powder as that’s what makes them light and crunchy.
- Preheat your oven to 180° C and get two sheets of baking paper, rolling pin, large knife or pizza cutter ready.
- In a medium bowl, combine and mix all the ingredients until the dough comes together without dry bits.
TIP: Add the plant milk in increments until you get the right consistency. You want enough liquids to help you stick everything together without making everything mushy and wet.
- Place the dough in between two sheets of baking paper. With a rolling pin, press down and roll out the dough until very thin, 0.25 cm is excellent! The thinner you roll the dough, the crispier the crackers will be.
TIP: You can divide the dough into two smaller portions if it makes it easier for you to roll out. Carefully peel off the top sheet and sprinkle extra seeds, sea salt, and fresh or dry herbs. Place the second sheet back overtop the rolled out dough to help you press in the toppings. Again, carefully peel off the top sheet but keep the bottom one for baking.
- With a large chef knife, pizza, or cookie-cutter score, your dough to your preferred cracker shape.
- Transfer the cut dough (with bottom parchment paper) to your baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes until the crackers are baked throughout and the edges are crisp. Cool on a wire rack, break them apart and enjoy!