Best Coconut Flour Bread (Gluten Free)
This Coconut Flour Bread is relatively easy to make, low in carbs and high in fibre. Making your own bread is a bit time consuming but if you are following a gluten free diet you might want to try this recipe. Just one or two slices will be all that you will need to satisfy you. I find It goes well with sweet or savoury toppings.
500g of water
20g dried yeast
30g psyllium husk
200g coconut cream (or Greek yoghurt)
50g vegetable oil (rice bran, light olive oil)
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 eggs slightly beaten
200g coconut flour
200g potato starch (or cornflour, tapioca)
70g chickpea flour (or quinoa, almond, hemp flour)
20g linseeds (or chia, sunflour, sesame seeds)
10g caster sugar
10g fine salt
cooking oil spray, to grease
This low carb coconut flour bread is an adaptation from Fast Ed from Better Homes and Gardens Magazines. I substituted the yoghurt with coconut cream and added 2 eggs as I felt the dough was too dry after 40 minutes rest to form the bread.
- Mix 100g of water with 20g yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to swell.
- Mix 400g of water with 30g psyllium husk in a medium bowl, then set aside for 5 min.
- Combine in the coconut cream, oil and vinegar.
- Beat the two eggs and add them in too.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients in a third big bowl.
- Add yeast mixture and psyllium mixture into the big bowl.
- Combine well with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until a dough consistency forms. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel. Set aside for 40 minutes.
- Grease a 20x10cm loaf tin with cooking oil spray.
- Transfer the dough on a floured surface or big wooden chopping board and form the dough into a log shape.
- Place in loaf tin and cover with the gladwrap or shower cap.
- Set aside for 1 ½ – 2 hours, until it increases in size in a warm non drifty place.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C fan-forced for 20-30 min.
- Place the tin in the middle of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C fan-forced and bake for 30-35 minutes more, until cooked and golden.
- Place the bread to cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter and olive oil.
- You can store it in the fridge in a container or plastic bag for a week or even longer.