Divine Panforte – Traditional Italian Christmas Dessert
Panforte is an Italian festive Christmas treat. A dense, slightly chewy fruit cake that lasts brilliantly and is perfect alongside a coffee or a Christmas tipple. This one is a gluten free panforte, and it’s effortless to make. Perfect to give as a gift or have on hand to serve to guests.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup of dried fruit (diced apricots, figs, dates, cranberries, raisins…)
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups chocolate baking bits
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup runny honey
Note: Panforte is a very decadent desert and could be gifted to your loved ones as Christmas treat.
- Preheat oven to 150 ºC. Place in the nuts in an ovenproof dish and roast for 15 minutes. Use baking paper to keep them separated.
- Lay the hazelnuts in a tea towel and rub to remove as much of the skin as possible (which can be discarded).
- Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.
- Combine the nuts, dried fruit, cocoa, gluten free flour mix and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Gently heat the chocolate baking bits, coconut sugar and honey in a medium saucepan until liquid. Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan and spend a few minutes mixing it well. This will be very sticky and you may need to use your hands for the last part.
- Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin. Press the mixture very firmly and evenly into the tin. Use the back of the spoon to smooth out the top. Bake for 35 mins.
- Cool completely before removing from the tin and sprinkling with icing sugar.